2013 Bourbon Barrel Ro Shampo (Figure 8)

I came back from Italy to a pleasant surprise. Figure 8 released a barrel-aged version of their Imperial Red. That Wednesday, I made my way to the pub for the tapping and to pick up a bottle.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This deep red brew had a thin white head that settled to a ring. The ring stuck around. I could smell the wood and the bourbon.

Taste: It was rich and bitter. It was earthy. It was boooozy.  Surprisingly, the caramel-sweet bourbon flavors complemented the hoppiness from the "Imperial" redness well. It was a nice balance. It would have been nicer if the bitterness was a degree or two lower and the grain shined through. Grain and bourbon? Mmmm!

This release was sweeter and smoother than the standard Ro Shampo. I asked for a little taste to compare. Like the other barrel-aged goodies they've been releasing, it would smooth out more with age. It's definitely a sipping beer. I was happy to get a pour.

Comments

Popular Posts