Ad Astra (FreeState)

Stuck in a Kansas hotel, my options were limited. After a pint of the Kansas City, MO Boulevard wheat, I started hitting up the KS brews in their cooler. I had two from Free State. I've tried a couple of their brews in the past and didn't think they were bad. Drink local, right?

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This dark amber brew had a light off-white head. It was super carbonated. The bubbles didn't stop racing up to the top. I smelled a very light malt roast.

Taste: The malt flavor sticks, but it's not overly sweet. I didn't get a lot of hop flavor, but that slight bitterness was there making it a proper beer. It had a very sticky aftertaste that didn't improve as it warmed. It was drinkable. I wouldn't go out of my way for it. After reading the site description, with all of those malts I'm surprised I didn't get more complexity in flavor.

From the Free State site:
This Ale is the first brewed in Kansas since the pioneering days. The name "Ad Astra" comes from the Kansas State Motto - Ad Astra per Aspera, Latin words meaning "To the Stars Through Difficulties". We've blended Pale, Caramel, and Munich malts for a rich amber beer. The hops balance this malty sweetness, and we've chosen Northern Brewer and Fuggles hops for their flavor.

MALT VARIETIES
Pale
Caramel
Munich
Chocolate Wheat
Victory
CaraHell

Comments

Popular Posts