Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. (Shmaltz Brewing)

I stepped into Beer Geeks after a busy evening looking for something good. Finding something good is never a problem at this establishment, tearing yourself away without trying them all is always painful. This rye-based Double IPA seemed like it would fit the bill. I was in the mood for something complex, and Shmaltz never lets me down.

I ordered a snifter and settled in to watch some Fletch and catch up with Mr. K amid the crowd, noise, and oddly noticeable number of handshakes around us.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This brew had a creamy, thick tan head. I could smell the dark fruit over the standard pub smells.

Taste: It was juicy. It was bitter, but well-rounded enough to balance it out. The spice of the rye and creaminess were a good match for the bitterness and acidity. That...and the booziness. This didn't really hide it's 10% ABV. It just added to the flavors. The hop acid and booze left that initial juiciness somewhat dry.

The warming booziness and slight spice from the hops and rye make this a great intro to fall. Though it would be good any time!

Comments

Popular Posts