Skip to main content

Barrel-Aged Cassidy (Hunter's)


Hunter's aged their Cassidy stout in a Girard Petite Sirah barrel. I waited a year for this...staring over the bar at it slowly aging. I even bought a couple of bottles of the 2012 petite sirah to get an idea of what flavors the barrel might impart. I really had no idea how this would work. A malty stout with a fruity, spicy wine? I love stout, and I crave petite sirah, but the mix sounded a bit odd to me. I trusted the brewers at Hunter's though. They seem to always do it right.

I thought I missed the release. It had been so long. Facebook isn't showing me all Hunter's posts. They have a mug club that might have gotten to tap and finish the brew. Maybe I was on vacation again when they tapped it, like when they released one of the barleywines. I've been out of the game and expected the worst. Then I saw the post on Facebook. They were tapping it for Stout Day. It was a Thursday. It was cold and rainy. I was less than fully mobile. But Mr. K and I made the trek out to Chesterton. We weren't disappointed.

I had a delicious, fruity, chocolatey, spicy sip. It pulled everything it could out of that barrel. The flavor was complex and had depth, but it wasn't so heavy I couldn't finish a glass. The dark jammy fruit wasn't overpowering, it was a nice addition. At 6.5% it wasn't as boozy as most barreled brews, but it still got all the richness.

I took some home to drink side-by-side with a glass of the 2012 petite sirah.

Now I'm waiting and hoping I didn't miss the brew they had slowly fermenting in the tequila barrel. I will wait for that much anticipated Facebook post...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Marched, What's Next?

What can we do? There has to be more than writing letters and posting on social media. This is a work in progress, but these are my thoughts...
Stay educated. If you think the media is misleading you, take charge. Know your sources. Do your research. You don't have to consume the 24-hour repetitive cycle of media. You can focus and keep it to the point. I like NPR, Popular Science, and the technical sources (department sites). If you're curious about education, go to the Dept of Education site! You want to know about the job rates? Go to the Department of Labor reports.

Educate each other. We are failing in this. We need to talk about the issues. Not just reposting articles, but face-to-face or virtually with a personal spin and follow up. We need to have meaningful discussions about the current state of affairs and what is happening. We can only act together if we work together. But serious discussion, not Facebook posts!

A Right Regal Bonsoir (or Imperial Bedroom Revisited)

Elvis Costello doesn't mess around. Last night, at The Chicago Theater, I witnessed a true delight of the senses. Out of respect for the artist's wishes, as requested, I didn't take any pictures or video of the performance. You'll have to live through my description and a grainy, preshow snap.

Wild Horticulture (Little Shop of Horrors)

Last night, I saw Little Shop of Horrors (Crown Point Community Theater edition). This fan-favorite has stood the test of time. People still pack in to see this 80s musical based on a 60s movie. Big production or small, the catchy tunes and dark yet quirky storyline keep people humming and laughing.

CPCT has a great range of shows. From Sartre's thought-provoking No Exit to the whimsical, yet mature, Happily Ever Once Upon they bring entertainment to the community. CPCT brings in plays that are far from mainstream. Evenso, it was a delight to see this classic musical.