Fade to Black Volume 2 (Left Hand Brewing Company)

This smoked porters is just what I need on this cold winter day to stand up to my crockpot chili. This is volume two of some series of Left Hand brews. The bottle has great artwork that might draw someone who doesn't know the wonders of Left Hand. I am a huge Left Hand Milk Stout fan.

From the Left Hand site:
"Fade to Black, that time of year when the light seems to fade away. We drift further into the darkness with each passing day. Volume 2- Smoked Baltic Porter is inspired by our collaboration with Nørrebro in Denmark. This mischievous cousin to Smoke Jumper has a penchant for pillaging and burning everywhere he goes. Smoked malts redolent of the burned thatched roofs in villages and towns all over Northern Europe impart flavors to warm the spirit of invading hordes far from home. You finally have something in your hand darker than the winter night sky."

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: The color was nice and rich as it poured. Nice smoky head. Not a ton of head though, and it dissipated quickly. Very roasted and smoky smell.

Taste: Very bitter right on. Tastes as thick and rich as it poured. A little sweeter than I was expecting. Leaves a roasted aftertaste. This brew isn't the smokiest I've had, and I like that. Some taste like they poured liquid smoke into it. This is a light smoky roast that gets more smoky as it warms. The bitter takes over in the beginning overpowering any other flavors it might have. But the bitter doesn't hang on for too long. It coats your tongue, and you taste the roast.

Good beer. I'd have it again, and I'd recommend it to a porter-lover. I've said this for all of my porter reviews to date, but the Three Floyds Topless Wytch is my standard for Baltic Porters. I do enjoy an Anchor Porter, but I haven't written about that yet.

Comments

Popular Posts