Elector (New Albanian Brewing Company)

I had this Imperial Red on tap at Beer Geeks. It was cold outside, and after having a wonderful spring brew (Gnomegang), I thought it would be good to have something to warm up. A hoppy Imperial Red seemed to fit the bill. I had tasted some NABC beers at the Indiana Brew Festival, and I liked them. I haven't had a taste since. Their label art is always interesting.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It was red with a white bubbly head. I could smell malt, but I think my smell was pretty much shot sitting in a bar (albeit a smoke-free bar).

Taste: I could taste the hops right on. It was pretty light with a mild to light aftertaste. It wasn't super complex, but was definitely better than some reds I've had in the past.

From the NABC site:
Excessive hopping rendered moot a modest plan for brewing a traditional winter warmer, but the resulting hybrid was delicious and redefines the Imperial Red style category. The first batch of Elector was brewed on Election Day, 2002, a mere two years after the nation's electors (most recently) made democracy pointless, and we persist in thinking that an Elector in hand is worth two Bushes in retirement, any election day.

Malts: Special Pale and Simpsons Medium Crystal
Hops: Triple hopped with Chinook pellets, finished through hop-back with whole cone Cascades
Yeast: House London
OG:  1.074 or 18.5 degree Plato
ABV: 7.5%
IBU: 62
Color:  11.9 degree Lovibond SRM

Comments

Popular Posts