Hoss (Great Divide)

I had a pour of this Rye Lager from the tap at Sheffield's. I had seen in at the shops before, but hadn't tried it until now. I've not yet had a bad Great Divide experience, but when I was stocking up on rye beers earlier this year, I just didn't see it.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This was a dark orange brew with a thin bubbly head that sticks.


Taste: It was malty and grainy, just as a rye should be. Almost wort-y. A decent rye that I'd drink again. For a lager, it is absolutely wonderful and complex. Smoother than some rye ales. I'm trying to place it, but Ruggoop and Red Rye PA aren't fair comparisons.

From the Great Divide site:
Hoss is based on the Marzen lagers of Germany. Rich, layered malt notes, with hints of cherry and dark fruits, dominate, while the unique addition of rye imparts a slightly earthy, spicy character. Hoss finishes crisp and dry, and its brilliant red-orange color is a toast to the sunsets that make the perfect backdrop for this beer.

Comments

Popular Posts