Relaxing at Revolution

2323 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Chicago, IL 60647

Revolution Brewing is a spot that I've heard of for a while. They had a successful collaboration with FFF (Sodom and Gomorrah). I also tasted some brews at the MWBF, but hadn't had the time to visit. We were meeting some new friends, and I thought of this as my chance to try it out. I was not disappointed.


I really enjoyed the decor. It was a mix of old style with wood, tin ceilings, and stained glass. The place had modern appeal with the poster-type portraits of famous characters (Batman, Karloff, and others), the bottle chandelier, and the touch of their symbol (fist held high). Every time I looked around I caught something new, like the walls made of strips of barrel.

When we arrived, we waited at the bar for our friends. They don't seat partial groups, but they have a little waiting area, and some room at the bar. Waiting is comfortable if there isn't a crowd. I had the Barrel-Aged Black Power Oatmeal Stout. It was quite enjoyable.

I looked over at the kitchen. It was a raised, open area. I watched the staff prepare the food. The wood-fired oven was going strong, and the pizza dough was flying. Our friends got there just as I finished my brew, and we were seated right away.

Overall, it is a pretty small area, so it's a bit crowded. I can imagine it's pretty full in the evenings. With the tin and wood, it has the cafeteria volume to it.

Everything on the menu looked really good. They had their brunch menu, which was very tempting. The biscuits and gravy with pancetta, the pancakes with cherry porter syrup, I was overwhelmed. We ended up with some of their standard fare. Mr. K and I split Sweet Potato Cakes (with ginger, garlic & curry spices with a red pepper cream) and the amazing Anti-Hero Chicken Sandwich (with caramelized onion & apple compote, double-cream brie, arugula, and house-made wild mustard). Both were quite tasty. The cakes were evenly spiced with rich flavors. The red pepper cream was deliciously tangy. The chicken was juicy, and the compote was a perfect match for the creamy brie. It all melded perfectly. Our friends ordered a margherita pizza dripping with melted mozzarella.

I drank a Eugene Porter while I waited for the food and during my meal.  I had an Anti-Hero IPA while I waited for dessert.

We shared our food to save room for dessert. I wanted the pear-carrot cake, and I longed for the citra hop ice cream with mango pound cake. But, I couldn't resist the oatmeal cream pie with butterscotch syrup from the brunch menu. It was like a really good version of the Little Debbie pies. The butterscotch had a hint of salt in it. A Eugene Porter chocolate cake appeared on the other side of the table. Both were rich and delicious. It was topped with the roasted porter ice cream. The chocolate sauce was a bit bitter.

I would recommend this place over and over again. Their food is good, their beers are more than drinkable. It's definitely a place to take out of town guests to show off what Chicago has to offer.




Comments

Popular Posts