Barrel Aged Black Sun (Three Floyds)

After a 20 minute wait I was allowed to enter Three Floyds. Let me briefly say that my love affair with FFF is over. Over the past 6 months I've tried to go three times, early on a Thursday, odd hours on a Sunday, my typical opening hour on Saturday...and it's too damned crowded. Like, wait-time crowded. I just don't have a desire to wait in a parking lot when there is a great selection of rare brews at Beer Geeks and good restaurants in the area. It's great that their business is going so well, exceptionally well, but the service and quality at a crowded bar is much different than a local hangout. The quality of the food was really crap too. It seemed to me to be going downhill, maybe the newness wore off, but after two embarrassing recommendations to people, the inconsistency of their quality has killed the mood.

As much as I may rant about how it's not my kind of place anymore, and that their food has gone from gourmet to Doritos, their beer is still exceptional. Not enough for me to bother with the crowd when the local liquor shop has a fine selection, but enough for me to have never been disappointed. Since it's been quite a while since I've tried their pub taps, there were quite a few I'd never tried.

So that long rant leads us to the notes for a fine stout pushed to fantastic with a barrel. It was perfectly balanced....damn you FFF.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This thick, black brew had a thin and creamy tan head. The roastiness was clear in the aroma.

Taste: It was thick from aging, it was boozy, it was creamy. It shut me up. I enjoyed the end of days last year with a standard Black Sun, but this thick, boozy, barrel-aged version was perfection. It was a good beer, like a good liquor. Sippable and enjoyable with a dry-bitter, coffee-like roast aftertaste.

From the menu:
Our delicious stout aged in a barrel since 2010 has a nose of coffee, roasted malts, and piney hops. This medium-bodied stout has a broad depth of maltiness and a clean dry finish.

Comments

Popular Posts