Prima (Victory)

When planning my Beer 101 course, I decided on a summer focus. Starting that out with a pilsner was the logical choice. Problem is....I don't have many notes on pilsers. I don't really drink the pils, so when selecting two choice brews, I went with names I knew and trusted. I was trying to have two of each style that would showcase the similarities of the style, while having some different characteristics to show the range in each type.

For the pilsers, I went with Brooklyn's Pilsner, and this pils from Victory. Neither let me down. In a side-by-side with the two, I was really able to appreciate the differences and complexity I didn't know existed in this style.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It was a clear gold with a very frothy white head. It was very effervescent. It smelled slightly earthy.

Taste: It tasted earthy and ended with bitter-ish citrus. It was more bitter than your standard pils. This sharper flavor made for a very crisp brew. While it had a maltiness to balance it, it wasn't as creamy or as sweet as Brooklyn's Pilsner. A good contrasting flavor. As it warmed it got more sharp, leaving a bitter aftertaste.

From the Victory site:
Heaps of hops give this pale lager a bracing, herbal bite over layers of soft and smooth malt flavor. This refreshing combination of tastes makes Prima a classy quencher in the tradition of the great pilsners of Europe.

Comments

Popular Posts