Dining with Upland

Earlier this month I went to my first dinner and drink pairing at Pikk's Tavern in Valparaiso, Indiana. The drink was Upland beer, and I liked every one they had on the menu. I usually visit Pikk's for brunch, and I always leave happy. Pikk's food and Upland beer, it sounded perfect to me.

Overall, I was very impressed with the pairing. Most that I've been to pick food that complements or contrasts with the beer to strike a good balance. They pick food that brings out characters in the drink you didn't taste before. The chef at Pikk's took it one step further and fully incorporated the beer into some of the dishes. He built the food around the beer. I rather enjoyed this experience.

The food was served family style, which was nice to get a taste, but as I filled up I really wanted to be able to take some home. By the time the main course arrived I was stuffed. 

As each beer and course was served the Upland rep and chef talked about the course. It was really informative and informal. It felt like I was at a friend's party. Very cool.


Course #1: Iceberg Wedge Salad with Upland Wheat Ale
blood orange-chili vinaigrette drizzled iceberg, oven dried tomatoes with crab profiteroles

The blood orange citrus tang complemented the orangy citrus of the wheat. I'm not big on iceberg, but the lightness of the lettuce went well with the lightness of the wheat.

Course #2: Beer and Cheese Potage with Ard Ri Imperial Red Ale
a decadent blend of artisan cheeses, cream, and imperial red ale
This to me was the best pairing and best example of fully integrating the beer in a recipe. The red ale was showcased in this potage (hearty soup). The graininess and bitterness of this imperial ale was not overshadowed by the sharp cheeses. The Sharp Cheddar and Gouda blasted my taste buds with the perfect cheesiness and the creamy texture warmed me.

Course #3: Braised Lamb Aloo Gobi with 
Double Dragonfly IPA
lamb braised in spices served with green rice, cashew sauce, potatoes, cauliflower, peas, and garlic flatbread

I'm going to have to say that this wasn't a good aloo gobi. I can't put my finger on it. Was it not stewed enough? Was the spice blend a little unbalanced? I can't really say. You can tell the chef was trying hard, and I respect the spirit of it. The flatbread was more pita than naan. That said, it wasn't a bad dish. The lamb was super tender. The cauliflower even made it's way onto Mr. K's plate (notorious cauliflower hater). It went very well with the piney, yet malty, IPA. The spice was washed away with the bitter hop oils. It was a very good balance.

Course #4: Berry Tart with Schwarz Black Lager
pastry shell baked with berries and coffee infused dark chocolate topped with salted caramel walnut brittle

I heard a couple of people moaning around the table about this one. They thought it was good, but "different". The chef admitted he wasn't  big on desserts. I thought it was a good way to end the meal. The coffee-infused chocolate paired well with the roasted chocolaty schwarzbier. It wasn't too heavy to enjoy after this large meal.

Pikk's Tavern offers these drink and food pairings through out the year. An Edna Valley wine pairing is next. With smoked scallops, eggplant cannelloni (with goat cheese), roast duck breast, and chocolate truffles, it won't disappoint. It's $33 for four courses, wine, and a friendly atmosphere. Not bad at all.

If only I had a bigger stomach!

Comments

Popular Posts