Fall is Upon Us: Squash, Cranberries, & Stews


It's October, and I'm finally ready to admit that fall is upon us. Those advertisers pushing the "final days of summer" had me shaking my fist in the air. Now that autumn is undeniably here, I'll embrace this, my favorite season.

It's time for festivals. Arts and crafts. Warm stews outside. Cider and hayrides. Orchard visits and fireside nights. The days are slowly getting shorter, and it's time to get ready to hibernate. I will say I'm less in the mood for fall days, leaf raking, and wardrobe turnover after such a brutal winter and mild summer. But I'm getting ready for pumpkin pie, cranberry chutneys, and beef stews.

Now is the time for squash. My go-to squash dish is acorn squash, halved and stuffed with whatever leftover meat (shredded pork or stewed beef), whatever greens I have on hand (swiss chard, spinach or a mix), and a grain of sorts (wild rice, pearled barley, or quinoa). I came across this slideshow of wonderful squash dishes. At some point I might have the drive and ingredients to make one or more of these dishes. Try them out. Let me know if you end up making a dish or two and let me know how it goes! 

Here is a listing of some of my favorite fall recipes from my archives:

Comments

Popular Posts