5 Points for a Perfect Pub

I am not exceptionally picky when it comes to bars. I've been to bars all over. I've had some good experiences at some spots that make me wish they were my neighborhood pub. I've had some bad experiences that make me wonder how they are still in business. Looking back at that, I find that it really comes down to five main points.

1. Selection
For me this is about quality, not quantity. While I like to see a good selection for all tastes, if what they have is good to me, I won't complain. If it's only one of each, I still like to see a dark ale (porter or stout), a hop-focused beer (pale ale or IPA), a malty brown ale, and something lighter (lager or saison). A heavy, boozy offering doesn't hurt either (imperial stout or barrel-aged brew). It's always a huge plus when it's a brew pub. I think they get more flexibility, because it's handcrafted onsite. 

Beer Geeks, RFDBroken Barrel Tavern, and Barley's Brewhaus are examples of some mega bars with a wide selection on tap and in bottles. But you have pubs like Cumberland Brews, Thr3e Wise Men, and Half Moon that have a small, but decent, selection.

2. Taste Before You Buy
It's always nice when they give you a little taste before you buy a unknown pint. This is more the case when it's a brewpub I'm unfamiliar with. I think everyone has very unique tastes, so I don't ask for recommendations. I might ask what the best sellers are, but a little taste is always nice. 

Flat 12 and Bier Brewery in Indy are good tap rooms that have impressed me with their generosity. FFF and most other brew pubs will give you a little taste. I have come into the rare pub that makes you pay $1 or more for a sample size, no tastes offered. Some will give tastes, but only if you ask. A bartender will always earn points with me if they offer the taste.

3. Knowledgeable Staff
As I said, I'm not really looking for recommendations so much. I can decide if I like something or not. That said, I do like it when the bartender and waitstaff have a clue about the beverages they are serving. I notice it more when I hear people ask questions and hear the (sometimes miserable) responses. The risks of having a bartender with limited knowledge are the wrong glassware, the wrong beverage, and sometimes worse...a bad pour. 

It always adds to the experience when the bartender can come to the table with a little tidbit of information about the brew. 

I don't expect a bartender to know everything about every beverage, but to say Rogue's Kells Irish Lager is like Guinness, recommend a Kilt Lifter as something lighter, or spoon off the head of a creamy ale is not what I look for in a bar. If you work at a brewpub and don't know their beers, that's even worse. Some of those save face and offer the taste. 

The staff at Stone Bistro really know some interesting facts about the beers they bring to the table. The staff at Sheffield's Chicago have a good grasp of what they offer.

4. Atmosphere
The decor adds to the experience to me. I'm not going to walk out of a pub with good beer if their decor is spartan or ragged, but it does add to the over all time spent there. Lighting is another one of those things. Some pubs are dark holes and some have really bright, almost sterile, light. It's not going to make me walk out. While I prefer light, some of my favorite pubs don't have a window I can find. The darkness makes me want to skip those spots in daylight hours, especially in winter. I want as much sun as I can get sometimes!

Food is one big factor that adds to the experience. I don't expect you to have food at a taproom, although some pretzels are nice (like they put out at Figure 8). If you are going to have food, it should match the quality of the beer. Pizza that tastes microwaved and greasy bar food doesn't to it for me. It's not going to make me avoid a place though. I'll just eat before I get there.

One thing that could make me leave early or think twice about coming back is the volume of their music. Background music is okay. Music that is loud enough to entertain works for me too. If I can't hear myself think, it turns me off. 

Revolution is very loud (but not with music), the food and cool decor partly make up for that. 

5. Cleanliness
This last one on my list is a big one. To be clear, I don't think that old=dirty. The problem I have is dirt. If the glassware is dirty, if my feet stick to the floor, or if I can't touch the bar without fear of grease stains, I won't come back. It isn't that hard to wipe up a table or bar counter. Take the time for someone to clean the bathroom too. If I drink enough, chances are I'll be visiting that part of the establishment. I don't mind rust, creaky floorboards, or slightly worn walls. I just wonder what the back operations look like if the basics are ignored. I don't need spotlights on the floor and tables, but some lighting helps me evaluate the cleanliness. I'm not walking around with a white glove, but I have my limits.

Two Brothers Tap House is a super clean, well-lit establishment. It has modern decor that looks clean and new. The tables are always wiped up, and the floors are always swept. With the lighting, I'd be able to tell if it wasn't.

Comments

  1. Good list! The atmosphere is so important, but if the staff is clueless about the products or not attentive to customers. . . best to go elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts